Bicentennial Discourse and Sermon
On August 13, 2006, Battle Day Weekend, we had our 200th anniversary of
the church building. Click here
for the historical discourse and sermon.
History of the Church
Click here for a recent, more
extensive history of the church and Old Bennington by local historians Joseph Parks
and Tyler Resch.
The Old First Church was "gathered" on December 3, 1762, the first Protestant
congregation in the New Hampshire Grants. The organizers were "Separatists,"
influenced by the Great Awakening, from Connecticut and Western Massachusetts, and
were proprietors of the new town of Bennington. The first meetinghouse was a plain
pine structure built in the center of the village, the green in front of the present
structure, and served for general public meetings, as a school, and for worship.
The present sanctuary, completed in 1805, is the first church built in Vermont
that reflects the separation of church and state. That is, the state would have no
role in the maintenance of the church's building or ministry; and the church would be
free to support and direct its own work. The townspeople hired the noted church
architect, Lavius Fillmore, as builder. He was a nephew of an early church member here
and cousin of the nation's 13th President. Fillmore had built other churches in
Connecticut (e.g., East Haddam Congregational Church, 1791) and later in Middlebury,
The columns are hand-planed from the whole trunk of pine trees and extend from the
basement footers to the rafters. Notice in the ceiling the cross embracing the world.
The exterior corner decorations are wood blocks, meant to resemble the stone of European
churches. The cost of the building was $7,793.20, raised almost completely from the
sale of the first floor pews. The upper pews were called the Free Gallery, and provided
seating for visitors and young people.
The box pews and the high pulpit were restored in 1937. The pew and wall plaques
honor Vermonters who contributed significantly to society (not necessarily church
members), including Robert Frost who spoke at the rededication (and whose gravesite is
just down the hill).
In 1994-99, the congregation undertook major building renovations, from the basement
beams to the bell tower, from the marble steps to the roof; and the interior was
plastered, and painted in the present historical white and grey.
In 1998 the Barn was refurbished for church and community use.
We invite you to become a part of this historical witness to the Gospel here in this
special place where we like to think that not only Vermont, but God's grace, begins!
Call us or sign a pew card to receive our monthly newsletter. Consider joining us by
profession of faith or by transfer. Or let us know your ideas about how we might better
serve the cause of Jesus Christ together.
Rev. Kenneth A. Clarke, Pastor
Katherine Traver, Moderator
Connie Barrett, Clerk
Patricia Ross, Treasurer
Charles Olegar, Organist
Nancy Andrews, Administrative Assistant